Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chocolate Almond Overnight Oats

So sorry I have been a bad blogger lately. HOW AM I GOING TO BE FAMOUS ONLY POSTING ONCE A WEEK!!?

Now that I have that off my chest...this was a recipe I sort of threw together last minute. I guess I visited Pinterest too many times that day because they have 94872984739 recipes for overnight oats. Essentially, preparing oats by soaking them in milk overnight helps the oats retain much of the nutritional value that is lost when cooking them. I just really hate the taste of instant oatmeal packets and am thrilled about having anything involving chocolate for breakfast so naturally this was a perfect fit.



I have to admit that I do not really have a recipe for this breakfast idea because everything I did was eyeballed. Basically, the simple recipe for this would be to put a portion of instant oats into a cup and pour enough milk over the oats to almost cover them. I felt that I may have added too much milk because it was a little watery so next time I would add less for my own taste preference since I like my oatmeal thick. Then, I added about a tablespoon of almonds, a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips, a teaspoon of cocoa powder, and a small packet of stevia. Leave the oats in the refrigerator overnight and wa-laaa..breakfast is ready when you are running out the door in the morning. (PLUS you make it in a cup and this fits in your cupholder which should be a requirement for any breakfast food)
I admit next time I would add coconut to this and probably use a chocolate almond milk or something to give it a bit more flavor. It was a very dessert like treat that is relatively healthy which kills two birds with one stone. The good thing about these oats is that they are incredibly versatile. You could really add just about anything to these. I have seen several recipes for pumpkin, maple, peanut butter and jelly, etc..Certainly worth looking into!

No comments:

Post a Comment