Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Business on the outside, party on the inside

I feel like I don’t need to say anything about this because the pictures say enough, but since I know you are reading this for my witty commentary I will grace you with my notes and banter.

This is another one of those cakes that weighs an uncomfortable amount of weight. Like the uncomfortable amount of weight where you eat one slice and automatically are like, “Hmmm..I just put one whole pound of food into my body which means my body is now one pound heavier.” This is a concerning feeling. Unfortunately, the best things in life are made with butter. And LOTS of it.

I can’t blame anyone but myself for making 300lb cakes because I don’t know when to stop. This recipe was originally just a cinnamon swirl cake. In the beginning there was cinnamon and cake. And then Meg said let there be streusel. And so there was. And then Meg said let there be cream cheese. And so there was. And then Meg looked upon her work and smiled. And gained five pounds. Enjoy!

*Please note that my rash last minute decisions call for me to make up my own recipes where I don’t use exact measurements. I have done my best to estimate what I used exactly to make this cake unnecessarily over the top J




INGREDIENTS: FOR THE CAKE
1 cup butter p
2 3/4 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
DIRECTIONS:
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one bundt pan.
2.
In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and 2 cups of the sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at time beating mixture well after each egg.
3.
Combine flour with baking powder and baking soda. Add alternately with sour cream to egg mixture. Beating just enough after each addition to keep batter smooth.
4.
Spoon ½ of the batter into the pan. Add cream cheese mixture. Pour the rest of the batter over the cream cheese. Sprinkle with the streusel.
5.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until center is done. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove pan and let cake continue cooling on a wire rack.



You don't want to over-mix your batter or your cake will be chewy. Keep your OCD tame and embrace the flour bombs!




INGREDIENTS:FOR THE STREUSEL
1/2 cup butter (slightly softened)
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup flour
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS:
1.
Cut the butter into small cubes (to make easier to crumble) and add to a small bowl
2.
Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour to butter cubes. Mix carefully with your hands or a dough mixer until ingredients are thoroughly combined. The mixture should be crumbly but hold shape if squeezed in your hand. Sprinkle on top of the second layer of the batter.
.
Call me Drake 



INGREDIENTS: FOR THE CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
1 package of cream cheese softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
1.
Cream all the ingredients with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.      

                
Cream cheese goodness!
     
                                                                                     
I promise this isn't burnt.







No comments:

Post a Comment