Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

I had leftover cream cheese frosting from a baking disaster earlier in the week so I wanted to use it up.I tried a lemon blueberry muffin recipe and it came out terribly. I blame the recipe because it obviously could not have been my baking skills. Duh. Regardless, I refused to waste a whole bowl of home made cream cheese frosting so I just kind of threw these together.

I admit as much as I love baking, I am a sucker for boxed cake mixes. I have made regular cakes before but for the effort and time it takes to do it from scratch, the quality is really not that much better especially if you are doing a basic chocolate or vanilla cake. I wouldn't dare try to make a boxed carrot cake or banana cake though. No chance you are going to find a Betty Crocker mix that produces a rich carrot cake.

ANYWAYS...my point is these are just boxed devil's food cake cupcakes and I am embarrassed to admit it. I think there is a certain amount of pride it kills when someone likes something I bake but it isn't a unique recipe I started from scratch. Like anyone can add two eggs and some oil and bake these and it will be the same.

Whatever. At least the frosting is real.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

1 Box Devil's Food Cake mix - follow the recipe and make cupcakes
1 Box Oreos - (I split an oreo in half and placed the side with the creme face up on the bottom of the cupcake tin before baking for a surprise...crush the rest up and dip the frosted cupcakes in them)

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese,
softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.  



No comments:

Post a Comment